Thursday 20 August 2009

Wrapped for winter: behind the scenes

Hi all! Firstly, I just want to say a great big thank you to everyone that's following. It's so encouraging, and I'm really grateful for all your comments.

This is for Jason who asked to see some work in progress shots from the previous post. You can see how much changed along the way; the skirt colour, jacket buttons, eyes open/closed, even the overall composition. Weirdly, the red bench in the background was the last thing I added. I work pretty organically - there's no science involved, not even by way of the colours ...but you're right, I naturally lean towards the warmer shades. I'm a great fan of warm browns and greys - you should see my wardrobe!
[click image to enlarge, and see the final version here]

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your progress. It's great to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The painterly effect you get is remarkable. Love that penguin at the ice bus stop! Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely work - it's always great to see a work in progress and the artists thought process behind the piece. your work is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this! I love your work. Do you use PhotoShop? A Wacom tablet? What brushes do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Vhrsti! Thanks doodleit! Thanks Magic! You're so lovely!
    Hi Mike. Thanks also to you for your kind words! Yes, I do use a wacom (it's like an extension of my arm! I have a little one that lives with my laptop and a big one for home) and for software I use both photoshop and corel painter. I'm still not sure which I prefer - they both have their strengths! This isn't going to be very helpful, but I actually don't do anything special with the brushes. They're all the default sets... actually I need to get into this building my own brushes thing! Hope this helps! All the best, K.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh so fun to see your process, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is so adorable!!! Great take on the subject!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many thanks! It's really helpful and fun to see all these steps. I definitely think your decision to bring the penguin forward and including the red bench were spot on! I've just been reading up on creating custom brushes myself--a well written book by Derek Lea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks again all. Jason - i'll definitely check that book out! Thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete